How to Get a Green Card With US Employment | Grape Law

How to Get a Green Card With US Employment | Grape Law

2 Min. Read
Share :

Many people dream of coming to the US and paving the way for naturalization by getting a green card. There are various family green card options for individuals with an immediate US citizen relative. But if you are not lucky enough to have a family member who is willing to sponsor your green card, don’t worry! There are employment-based green cards such as EB-2 and EB-3 with which you can become a permanent resident and worker in the United States.

These green cards are prevalent and preferred by many qualified applicants, special knowledge, and extraordinarily talented individuals. On the other hand, US citizen sponsorship is also needed for employment-based green card applications. This requires a valid job offer from employers in the US as well as a labor certification. Henceforth, the application process for employment-based green cards has manifold questions that need answering. Here in this writing, we will explore the application process for employment-based green cards and answer your inquiries!

Obtain Your PERM Labor Certification

Firstly, you should obtain your PERM Labor Certification (LC), issued by the Department of Labor (DOL). Your employer makes a PERM application, and with the labor certification, it is proven that you are qualified for the job offer. There is no American worker to replace you. Therefore, it is the most crucial aspect of the application.

You may find our detailed writing What is PERM Application? How to Apply? helpful in learning more about the PERM application process.

Find Your Sponsor

Your sponsor, which in this case is your employer, will file the form I-140 (Petition for Nonimmigrant Alien Worker) with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In this process, it is re-evaluated by the DOL that your employer will be able to afford the determined salary and that you meet the requirements of the job position.

Complete Your Application

To get an employment-based green card, you must make a general application. Green card applications can be made in two ways depending on your location. First, if you are currently in the U.S. on a legal status, you must apply for “Adjustment of Status” by filing the Form I-485 (Adjust or Change My Nonimmigrant Status) with the USCIS. If you are outside of the U.S., you must apply for a green card via U.S. consulates in your country by arranging an interview after completing the online DS-260 (Immigrant Visa Electronic Application) form. Following the interview, you will be issued an immigrant visa with which you can enter the U.S. This process is known as “consular processing.”

Getting a green card and benefiting from its advantages is a significant step towards establishing a living in the United States. With a green card, you can permanently live and work in the U.S. and apply for naturalization soon. However, if you don’t have an immediate relative who is a U.S. citizen, you might use employment-green cards instead.

Even though you might have a valid job offer from employers in the U.S., you will likely be confused and frustrated while trying to figure out which type of employment-green card among the five you should apply for, their unique requirements, benefits, and more. In that regard, we ensure that you make the necessary preliminary preparation and research and accompany you throughout your green card journey with our exceptional legal expertise and result-driven insights.

If you have any questions or requests regarding the employment-based green card types and their application processes, please don’t hesitate to contact us by emailing [email protected] or scheduling a face-to-face consultation via our calendly account!


Your American Dream Is One Click Away

Start Your Journey