Student Visa Options in the US: F1, M1, J1

Student Visa Options in the US: F1, M1, J1

3 Min. Read
Share :

Studying in the U.S. is an amazing opportunity for students from all over the world. With many renowned institutions that lead the world in higher education, U.S. offers various prospective academics or sector professionals the necessary background to advance in their journeys to achieve career goals. On the other hand, before anything you need to prepare to start studying, you must obtain a student visa to begin building your future in the U.S. And first, you should know what exactly a student visa is, which type of student visa you should apply, and how to apply it. Being able to answer these questions will be essential for you to have the correct student visa.

What is a Student Visa?

The student visa is a type of nonimmigrant visa issued to prospective students aiming to come and study in the U.S. The length of your visa depends on the time needed to complete your student program, course of study, or work assignment. There are three student visas that you can apply for depending on your course of study and the type of institution that you aspire to study at. Three student visas are F, M, and J, and we will explore each visa in-depth below.

What is F1 Visa?

F1 visa is the most common nonimmigrant student visa issued to thousands of students and researchers each year. It is specifically for academic purposes. There is no cap on F1 visa issuance, making it available for everyone who is qualified. Furthermore, an F1 visa requires your proposed study program to eventually awards you a degree, diploma, or certificate. And do not worry, an F1 visa is valid as long as your study in the U.S. continues, and you can ask for an extension if necessary for your work.

Who Can Apply for F1 Visa? Which Institutions You Can Apply to?

If you are accepted into an accredited U.S school and will study as a full-time student, you are good to apply! You may apply to colleges, universities, conservatories, seminaries, language training institutions, high schools, and elementary schools.

However, public elementary schools and adult educational programs (such as foreign language classes) are not among the schools you can apply to get your F-1 visa. Public high schools are not affected by this rule. However, an F-1 visa for high school candidates can be valid for up to 12 months, and it is required that you show proof of your payment made for a whole educational year. If you are applying for a private elementary or high school, you should not worry about these nuances at all!

What is M1 Visa?

M1 visa is a specific student visa for pupils seeking vocational studies in the U.S. This is different from the F1 visa in that it is designed for ‘non-academic’ studies. Your visa is valid for up to a year, but it can be extended to 3 years depending on your course of study.

Who Can Apply for M1 Visa? Which Institutions You Can Apply to?

If you are fluent in English, have funds that can afford your stay, and reside outside of the US, you are qualified to apply! Institutions to which you can apply are many and include schools like business, flight, cooking, cosmetology, and various others that offer different vocational training. Language training programs are not included in schools viable to apply. And to be eligible for an M1 visa, the school or schools you plan to apply to must be recognized by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).

What is J1 Visa?

J1 visa is a nonimmigrant, exchange-based visa issued to people who seek to teach, lecture, study, conduct research, receive training, etc. to create a mutually beneficial relationship between the U.S. and other countries. There are various public and private entities that the U.S. acknowledges as sponsors. These sponsors, like Fulbright Commission, facilitate the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills in fields like arts & science, and education with the U.S. Sponsors also act as your visa sponsors and manage your visa issuance process.

Who Can Apply for J1 Visa? Which Institutions You Can Apply to?

There are many individual categories under which many people can apply for a J1 visa. As J1 aspires for the growth of the international relationship between the U.S. and other countries, most categories do concern education. Some acknowledged categories are as follows:

  • Students
  • Teachers
  • Professors or scholars
  • Research assistants
  • Trainees
  • Specialists
  • Au Pairs
  • Camp counselors

A student visa might be the beginning of your journey that will last a lifelong. It is for idealist, adventurous, and ambitious people that look for growth, progress, and achievement. Fortunately, student visas are limitless.

Whether it be F1, M1, or J1, every year thousands of students, researchers, scholars and so many other people from different professions are issued a student visa. We believe that if you are qualified to apply and passionate enough to come to the U.S. and make a difference, you will be awarded your desired student visa!


Your American Dream Is One Click Away

Start Your Journey