B-2 visa is a type of nonimmigrants visa for people who want to travel to the U.S. for tourism purposes.
- The applicant must plan to stay temporarily.
- The applicant must have a residence outside of the U.S. that s/he will return to.
- The applicant must be able to afford his/her trip and stay in the U.S.
Family of the applicant cannot seek entry as dependents using B-1 Visa. They are required to apply separately for B-2.
- Visiting friends and family
- Participating in social events by fraternal, social, or service organizations
- Participating in musical, sports, or similar events or competitions only if participating subjects will not be paid
- Participating in a short, non-credit vocational course of study
Your initial stay ranges from 1 to 6 months.
Yes! However, this is a short, temporary visa. Therefore, you can be granted a maximum of 6 months extension. Your stay on B-2 cannot exceed a total of 1 year.
As B-2 is a visitor visa, you may not seek employment in the U.S. You need to apply for work visas that the U.S. issues. Please see Working in the U.S. to learn more about the issue.
To be eligible for a Visa Waiver Program (VWP), you must be a citizen or national of a participating country. To reach the current participating country list, you can use this link.
You can renew your visa. For this, you should follow the same steps you followed while applying for the first time.