H-1B Visa

H-1B Visa, or Person in Specialty Occupation Visa, is a nonimmigrant visa for professionals who seek specialty jobs in the U.S.

H1-B visa requires visa applicants that they have a higher education degree or its equivalent. This entails bachelors or higher degrees such as MA’s or Ph.D.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • The applicant must have a bona fide employer and a job offer. The employer will also act as his/her sponsor for your visa application. 
  • The applicant must have at least a bachelor’s or its equivalent degree in a specific field. 

Family Members:

The spouses and unmarried children (under the age of 21) of the H1-B visa holder can apply for an H-4 (Dependent visa) for the duration of the H1-B visa.  


Unfortunately, yes. The current number per fiscal year is 65.000.

However, if you are a master’s or higher degree graduate of a U.S. institution, there is an extra 20.000 quota for you. And if your sponsor is a higher education institution, a nonprofit organization working under a higher education institution, or a government research initiative, the visa cap rule does not apply. 

H1-B Visa duration varies from applicant to applicant. However, you can be issued a visa valid for up to three years. 

Yes, you can. Your stay may be extended, but generally cannot go beyond a total of six years. But there are some exceptions to this rule when there is an ongoing Green Card Application.

For further information please see this H-1B page by the USCIS.  

You can apply for H-1B Visa coming from numerable professional work fields including but not limited to IT, architecture, law, finance, and medicine.

Please discuss with your attorney to learn more possible positions based on your academic and professional background. 

Yes. As long as your visa is valid, there is no legal obstacle to prevent you from traveling in and out of the U.S. 

Yes, if your employer is willing to sponsor you. There are also some advantages of being in H-1B status as being on payroll and having a dual intent visa. 

Yes. H-1B transfer applications are not subject to quota and you can apply for H-1B transfer when you find a qualified job offer from new employer.  


Your American Dream Is One Click Away

Start Your Journey