I Visa

I Visa is a type of nonimmigrant worker visa for members of foreign media professionals who seek to undertake informative or educational media activities.

Foreign media professionals include members of the press, film, radio, and print industries.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • If the applicant is a member of a foreign media, a freelance journalist, or an employee of an independent production company that is an affiliate of a media organization 
  • If the applicant is actively engaged in the news-gathering activity.
  • If the applicant is a member of a film and video production company, work must be for a production that is not commercial, but informative or educational in nature 
  • If the applicant is an accredited employee of a tourist office, the applicant must collect and promote factual touristic information on the United States. 
  • If the applicant is an employee of a foreign organization that engages in the transfer of technical industrial information, the applicant can be eligible for an I Visa if s/he will be employed in the U.S. office of the same foreign organization. 

Family Members:

Spouses and children under the age of 21 may accompany I Visa holders with I Dependent Visa. They will be allowed the same amount of legal stay as the primary I Visa holders. 


This depends on whether an end date is specified on your Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, or not.

If there is an end date on your Form I-94, you will be authorized to stay if the end date on Form I-94 becomes current.

If there is no end date on your Form I-94, you are entitled to work permission given that you continue working for the same employer in the same information medium.  

If your Form I-94 includes an end date on your authorized stay, you may seek extensions up to 90 days by filing Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.

No. No family member is allowed to work in the U.S. on I Visa. 

Yes. You and your family can participate in non-academic studies without student visas such as F and M.  

Yes. For this, you need to file Form I-539 together with supporting documents. They include evidence of your current lawful nonimmigrant status and the letter from your new employer that describes your employment and states the fact that you will be working for the new media organization.    


Your American Dream Is One Click Away

Start Your Journey