Green Card for Parent Visa

Green Card for Parent is a type of ‘through family Green Cards’ with which parents of U.S. citizens can become permanent residents.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • The sponsoring U.S. citizen child must be at least 21 years old.  
  • Parent(s) seeking a Green Card must also be at least 21 years old. 


Yes! USCIS does not define paternal relations according to biological paternity. Hence, adopted and stepparents are eligible for a Green Card through their children as well. 

Yes. The U.S. does not discriminate against parents' immigrants based on their marriage type.   

Yes. If your parents are issued immigrant visas and coming to the U.S. from abroad, they will be entitled to a work permit without applying for employment authorization.  

Your parents should apply for employment authorization while their adjustment of status requests pending. Upon approval of their adjustment of status requests, they can legally start working in the U.S.   

Fortunately, no. This is because Green Cards for Parents is an immediate relative Green Card. This fact also makes Parents' Green Card processing time much shorter!  

Yes. For this, they need to go through a process called ‘adjustment of status’. They can adjust their nonimmigrant status by filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. 

Yes. To apply, they need to go through a process called consular processing. This requires that your sponsoring children file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative on your behalf. After your I-130 petition is approved, they will be invited to an interview at the U.S. consulate or embassy of your home country after which they will be issued immigrant visas. 

Yes. U.S. immigration laws state that America must be the primary residency for new Green Card holders. Hence, long-term departures might result in the revocation of Green Cards.  


Your American Dream Is One Click Away

Start Your Journey