Student and Exchange Visitor Visas

J-1 Visa

J-1 Visa is a nonimmigrant exchange-based visa issued to people who seek to teach, lecture, study, conduct research, receive training, etc. to create a mutually beneficial relationship between the U.S. and other countries.

There are various public and private entities that the U.S. acknowledges as sponsors. These sponsors, like Fulbright Commission, facilitate the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills in fields like arts & science, and education with the United States.

Sponsors also act as your visa sponsors and manage your visa issuance process.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • The sponsoring organization must be approved by the Department of State 
  • The applicant must have a sufficient financial budget to afford his/her stay in the U.S. 
  • The applicant must be a proficient English speaker to enable his/her program success in the U.S. 
  • The applicant must provide an abroad residence that s/he has no intention of giving up  Exchange Visitor Examples:
  • Students 
  • Teachers 
  • Professors or scholars 
  • Research assistants 
  • Trainees 
  • Specialists 
  • Au Pairs 
  • Camp counselors 

Family Members:

The spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 can accompany the applicant as dependents on J-2 status.  


This depends on the required time for you to complete the exchange program. Generally, you are granted your respected program’s required completion time.  

Yes. However, this also depends on the articulation concerning your necessity to complete the exchange program. In addition, you will have 30 days of ‘grace period’, which means that you can lawfully stay for 30 more days after your visa expires. 

This applies to participants of certain exchange programs. The requirement, which is known as the “Two-Year Rule”, states that certain participants must return to their home country and reside there at least for two years before applying for a new immigrant (Green Card) or nonimmigrant visa.   

Some of the exchange participants like academicians come to the U.S. specifically to work.

However, for instance, if you are a student who is not in the U.S. specifically to work, you can be eligible for employment authorization only if the terms of your exchange program allow it.

Please consult an attorney to learn about your situation.  

Yes. But their earnings cannot be used to support you. 

Yes, there is no limitation on the studies your family can attend to. 


Your American Dream Is One Click Away

Start Your Journey